My Next Race

Monday, May 3, 2010

St. George Triathlon

Eventually, I want to compete in an IronMan Triathlon. That's my ultimate goal. I think it would be alot of fun and such an energy rush.

Competing in an Ironman, you have to do the following:
-Run/Jog 26.2 miles
-Cycle 112 miles
-Swim 2 miles & 365 yards

The BIG Ironman is held over in Kona, Hawaii. I think it'd be alot of fun to compete in that race, but you have to qualify for it. You can qualify by doing these other Ironman's, like the one in St. George and they have on in Couer D'Alene, ID as well. I know they've got more around the country, I'm just not sure where.

Well, my boss, she has a friend that has competed in an Ironman. This last weekend was the Ironman down in St. George, so my boss and her friend went down to volunteer at it. I don't know what they were doing, but my boss was stationed at the finish line.

When you compete in an Ironman, you have 17 hours to finish the race. If it takes you longer than that to finish, then you don't "officially" complete the race. In the Ironman this last weekend, the last participant to cross the finish line, crossed with an end time of 17 hours and 2 minutes. Unfortunately, he didn't offically complete the race, but what is inspiring about the story is...the man was 74 years old!!!

I would LOVE to meet this man. What an inspiration. I hope I'm able to do that when I'm 74 years old.

No comments: