My Next Race

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Crazy miles!


This last Saturday we had a family reunion out in Taylorsville, UT. I hadn't had my workout yet for the day, so I thought I'd ride my bike out to the family reunion and back. I had figured earlier in the week that it was only 20 miles out and 20 miles back. It ended up being 22 miles out, and 22 miles back, but an extra 2 miles each way, no biggie.

But, it ended up being a very difficult ride out there. I was VERY tempted at times to just call it quits and turn back around and go home. I had a head-wind the whole way out there! It was crazy!!! My maximum speed going out to the family reunion was 12 mph. I just had to keep telling myself that it was good strength training.

I got out to the family reunion and my cousin couldn't believe that I rode my bike all the way out there. It was SO fun. The family reunion ended up being moved from the park to someone's house that was further away, so I just decided to head back home.

Luckily, on my way home, the wind was on my side. My speed on the way home was about 20 mph. Where it took me 2 hours to get out to the family reunion, it only took me 1 hour to get home.

The closer I got to home, the more I wanted to push myself and try and ride a total of 50 miles. The picture above is how many miles I ended up riding. If I were to have rode 50 miles, I would've hit a head-wind again, and the wind seemed to be getting stronger and stronger.

Now that I know I can ride this many miles, I think this calls for me to sign up for a couple of century rides. I won't do 100 miles quite yet, but in a century you can ride 65 (or it might be 68) miles. There's a century in August up in Logan, UT and there's one down in St. George, UT that I think I might sign up for!

No comments: