My Next Race

Sunday, July 25, 2010

How do they afford it?

Now that I've lost 100+ pounds, I have ALOT of extra skin. It's really disgusting to me. Alot of people think I DON'T have extra skin, but let me tell you...if you wear the right clothes, it can hide it really well!!! Lol.

But...I would LOVE to get skin removal surgery, but it is HELLA expensive and of course insurance companies won't cover any of it!!! I've looked in to it. I would ideally like to have the extra skin removed from my stomach, back, thighs, breasts and arms. I went to a plastic surgeon last year and had a consultation. Just to have my tummy skin removed, I'd have to have what is called a "body lift" because they'd have to take care of the extra skin on my back (yes I was SO big I have extra skin on my back). It is a very complicated surgery and it's a very long surgery. Just to have the body lift done for my stomach and back, it'd cost $12,000!!! I didn't even ask how much it'd cost to have my arms, breasts and thighs done.

I personally know one person who has had all of this surgery done and had all of her extra skin removed. She had to pay for it all out of pocket. I have a co-worker who knows someone (I've met her) that had all of her extra skin removed and I've seen a contributor on the TLC show What Not to Wear that has had her extra skin removed.

My question is...how the crap do they afford it? Do they just go in to debt up to their eyeballs to have this surgery done?

I just can't tell you how bad I want to have this surgery, because there are times when I still look in the mirror and because of all of my extra skin, I still see the fat Ara, I just have to keep telling myself that I'm not fat...look at the size of clothing I fit in to, ya know?

Does anybody have any ideas of how I could raise money or something to be able to afford this surgery?

2 comments:

Kristy Rogers said...

There are some makeover shows that you could send your story into that might consider doing it. It's worth a try! I think you look great though. Everybody is always hardest on themselves.

Ara said...

Thanks Kristy, you're so sweet! That is a good idea. Maybe I'll try that.