My Next Race

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How It Started

I don't know why I didn't start this blog at the first of my weight loss, but oh well, I guess the most important thing is that I now have the blog. I hope I can be an inspiration to others. If I can lose weight...ANYBODY can lose weight. If you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask.

I thought my first post should be about how it all started. In March 2009, I weighed in at 275 lbs., and right now, I've lost 100 lbs. My goal is to lose 25 more lbs. :) I've done it all by exercise and eating right.

I've always been a larger woman. I don't remember when I was a small woman. I LOVED unhealthy food. I could easily down a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, right after downing a double cheeseburger and a large order of onion rings. Now, I still LOVE food, but I've learned how to LOVE healthy food.

I remember a long time ago, I saw Team Hoyt (www.teamhoyt.com) on the Oprah Winfrey Show. It is a father/son team that competes in triathlons and marathons across the U.S. The son was born as a spastic quadriplegic and has cerebral palsy. The father & son compete in marathons & triathlon's together. I believe they've competed in the IronMan Triathlon. Any way, I saw them on Oprah and I thought, man, if the dad can do this, I can do it and ever since then, I've wanted to compete in the IronMan triathlon.

I've never forgotten the story, I've just been too lazy to get off my butt and do anything about reaching my goal of competing in the IronMan triathlon.

Well, in January of 2009, a girl that I went to high school with told me that her & her husband were organizing a triathlon for August of 2009. The triathlon would require me to swim 350 yards, jog/walk 3.2 miles and ride my bike 10 miles. Well, this peeked my interest. I thought about it for about 1 1/2 months and thought that I could maybe do this triathlon instead of the IronMan triathlon.

In March 2009, I paid and registered for the triathlon. I made sure I paid for it that far in advance so that I couldn't back out. As soon as I registered for the triathlon, I started training. I bought a gym membership and started going to the gym every day. I'd go swimming before work, and then I'd come home and go ride a bike and jog/walk on the treadmill.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

this one works too!!