My Next Race

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

1/2 Marathon in 8 Weeks

I've signed up for my first 1/2 marathon and it's going to be on October 9th up in Layton, UT. When I signed up for the 1/2 marathon, I was able to run 9 miles each time I ran.

Well, I advanced too fast in my running and had to back down to 8 miles every time I ran. Last week I as running 8 miles until I got sick with a cold and my working out came to a screeching halt for 3 days. So, I haven't run long distances in a week. It seems like when I take any kind of break from running, I digress a couple of miles...however, I seem to recover fairly quickly.

I went running tonight and I was only able to make it a little over 6 miles. I REALLY wanted to be able to run 7 miles, but the farther I got in to my run, the more I knew that would most likely not be possible. Part of it I think was the heat (for it being 7:00 p.m. when I went running, it was still pretty warm) and the other part was I haven't been running long distances in a week.

The whole time I'm running though, I'm thinking, dude, I've signed up for a 1/2 marathon in about 1 1/2 months. I've got to be able to run that 13 miles. Eeeek! So, when I got home, I looked at my calendar and I need to be able to increase my mileage by 1 mile every week to be able to do the 13 miles on October 9th. I think it's very possible as long as I don't get sick or anything else between now and then.

Here's to hoping I don't get sick. :)

No comments: