My Next Race

Monday, March 14, 2011

Yay! Good News!

I went to the orthopedic surgeon today regarding my leg to find out if it was just shin splints or if I had a stress fracture.

After sitting in the waiting room and then sitting in the exam room for what seemed like forever, they came and got me and I hobbled to the x-ray room. They took 2 x-rays and then I hobbled back to the exam room and seemed to wait for what seemed like forever again. Finally Dr. Johnston's PA came in and we looked at the x-rays and he examined my leg and....I just have a terribly bad case of shin splints!!!

So, what he wants me to do is not run for like 3 - 4 weeks. I've also been wearing the boot that I wore when I broke my leg & ankle 4 years ago and he wants me to continue to wear that when I'm not swimming or biking.

Since I only ran once last week (Monday), next week will be 3 weeks, so he said I can TRY the eliptical trainer next week, but if that seems to put a strain on my shin splints, then I need to back off for a little longer.

He also wrote up an order for a bone scan for me. He said if I don't see any marked improvement within 3 - 4 weeks, I should go get a bone scan so we can make sure that I don't have a stress fracture.

He basically said I've been running too much. He said I should really only be running 20-25 miles a week, and I've been running 30-36 miles, if not more, a week.

So, I won't be running The Canyonlands 1/2 Marathon this Saturday, but I will be down there cheering my friends and personal trainer on. :) I could've probably paid $5 and downgraded to running a 5 mile race at The Canyonlands this Saturday, but I am working on getting better so I can participate in all of my triathlons this year, starting April 2, 2011 in St. George, UT.

So, I'm stoked that they are just terrible shin splints, but can I just say that this is THE WORST case of shin splints I've EVER had. They hurt like hell!

No comments: