My Next Race

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Telos Timp Tri

This last Saturday was my latest triathlon. It was the Telos Timp Triathlon down in Orem. This was the fourth time I've competed in this race. They do this race twice a year. They do it in April and then they do it in November.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from this race. My dad is usually the photographer for me at my races, but he had to work, so my mom went with me. My mom can't multi-task and take pictures and cheer me on at the same time, so I would rather have her cheer me on.

But...this was a very momentous race! I thought I had set the bar high by improving my time by 1:20 in my race down in St. George, but man...I've now set the bar REALLY high. My final time on my race down in Orem was 1:18:38.4! I set a new PR (Personal Record) and improved my time by 5:03! I came in 6th in my age division and 21st in all females.

I was honestly shocked that I did so well in this race. It started out with the run and ended with the swim. During the run, I don't know why, but I had a hard time with my breathing. I felt like I was short of breath alot. I ran a 9:29 mile, but I felt like I was running alot slower. As I was running I thought there was NO way I was going to beat my time from St. George.

On the bike portion, you have to ride 2 loops and climb 2 very large and steep hills on each loop. On my second loop of the bike I finally started to think that I might not beat my time from St. George, but I might have somewhere around the same time. There was a point on the bike that I was out there by myself. There wasn't anybody in front of me, and at one point, I kind of glanced behind me and there were people behind me, but they didn't pass me.

I finally got to the swim and once again, I didn't feel like I was swimming as fast I could, but I was pretty tired (not sure why), but that's another time I thought I might beat my St. George time by maybe a minute 'cause there was nobody in the pool. I only had to pass a couple of people.

I finally jumped out of the pool and crossed the finish line. After I crossed the finish line, about a minute later, I saw the time clock and it said 1:19:00!!! I was ecstatic!!! I knew my time was better than 1:19:00.

I decided that I was going to stick around and wait for my time to be posted 'cause I thought I MIGHT have a chance at placing and maybe getting up on the podium. When they finally posted my final time, I was over the moon! I couldn't believe it! I didn't get up on the podium this time, but you know what, that's ok? I've still got a ton of races to do this year...I think I just might make it up on the podium this year! I'm stoked!


Jena said...

Way to go Ara, I am so impressed!

Brice.TawniWilliams said...

AWESOME!!! you are seriously amazing!