My Next Race

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Opportunity of a Lifetime


I had to make a really tough decision this week. I literally had to sleep on my decision and make sure I was making the best decision before I told them I would do it.

A group of people from my work every year do the Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay. I was asked if I wanted to do it this year, but I had already registered for a race that weekend, so I told them no.

Well, two weeks ago, my manager told me that someone just had to back out of the race & I should cancel my triathlon that I was going to do and do the Ragnar with them. I decided it would save me money to do the Ragnar than to do the triathlon I was going to do, so I said I would.

I emailed the coordinator and they already got someone to fill the spot. :( I was kind of bummed. But then the coordinator came to me the other day & asked if I would be the driver for one of the vans. I told him no because I didn't want to cancel my race just to be a driver.

THEN...he came back to me later that day & said if I would cancel my race and be the driver for the Ragnar, then I could do the Epic Cache-Teton race for free! It costs $120 to do the Epic Cache-Teton race.

Just a side-note. The Epic Cache-Teton race is an identical race to the Ragnar, but it is done by a different company and you run from Logan, UT to The Teton Village in Jackson Hole, WY.

I really had to think about whether I wanted to cancel my race this weekend and do the Epic Cache-Teton because it is sandwiched between two triathlons that I'm going to do. First is the Bountiful Triathlon, which is just a Sprint, then I would have to do the Epic Cache-Teton, and then the very next weekend I'll be doing my first Olympic Distance open water triathlon! Eeeekk!!! I just didn't know if I could do it.

I thought about it and slept on it and decided this is too good of an opportunity to pass up, so I'm going to do it!!!!

I am SUPER excited to be a driver for the Ragnar this weekend. It is so inspiring to me to be a spectator. Granted, I'll be driving for basically 36 hours straight. At one point we'll be able to stop and rest for about 5 hours in the gym of a high school. It ought to be interesting. But it should be fun.

Last year I went and cheered the team on when they were running in Heber, and it was so inspiring to me. I can't explain it. So, it should be even more inspiring being a driver.

Then, I'll be able to mark off my bucket list the Epic Cache-Teton Relay. Can you imagine how beautiful that run is going to be? Running through the Grand Teton's? It's going to be breath taking! I can't wait!



I mean, I'm really super nervous about doing my Olympic Distance Triathlon, but I think I'll be able to do it. As soon as we finish the Epic Relay, I plan on taking an ice bath to help my legs get back in good shape. If I feel like I can't do the Olympic, I know I can always pay a few $$$ and go down to a Sprint distance triathlon.

Either way, I'm super excited.

1 comment:

Tawni Williams said...

You amaze me girl! The Grand tetons are beautiful! I'm so excited to hear how your first olympic distance goes! Mine will be the end of july EEEK