My Next Race

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

6.2 Miles After a Swim & From 10:00 to 9:40

I'm SO excited!!! I went running tonight and ran 6.2 miles in 1 hour. That has taken me from running a 10 minute mile down to running a 9:40 mile. Granted, it's only a 20 second improvement, but hey, improvement is improvement, right?

I'm just soooo stoked about this! I feel like I've been stuck at a 10 minute mile for quite a while now.

Also, tonight I did my swim workout, which consisted of swimming a total of 2000 yards (80 laps) (72 laps = 1 mile in the pool I swim in). Here is exactly what I swam:

200 swim and 200 kick
400 drill
4 x 100 with 30 second rest
200 pull
4 x 100 with 30 second rest
200 pull

Now, with all the crap I ate on Monday and having a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks, I decided I needed to run after my swim, so I was planning on running 6 miles.

I was kind of nervous going in to the run. Not because I didn't think I could do it. I've ran 6 miles before (yesterday) and I've done my share of 10k's, etc. I was nervous because I was REALLY hungry and didn't know if I'd have the energy after swimming to run 6.2 miles.

Well, a couple of laps in the run, I really wanted to quit. I wanted to just pack up and head home, but it then occurred to me that in August, I'm doing my first Olympic distance triathlon. I'm going to have to swim 0.9 miles, bike 24 miles and run 6.2 miles. I figured now is as good a time as any to start practicing that and getting geared up for it. So, basically I forced myself to run the 6.2 miles tonight and you know what? I LOVED every minute of it. I'm SO glad I did it. I can't wait until August.

No comments: