My Next Race

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'm Closer Than I Thought!


I'm SO excited. I'm closer to competing in an Ironman triathlon than I thought I was.

Last week I got an email from active.com and it was their newsletter. Normally I don't read the articles, but there was an article entitled (How to Train for Your First Ironman) (you can find the link here) As I was reading the article, I'm quickly realizing that I'm closer and closer to doing an Ironman.

In the article, it says you need to be capable of swimming 3 times a week for an hour each time and you need to be able to swim 100 yds in 2 minutes. I can do that!

It says you need to be able to bike comfortably for 1 1/2 hrs or so and keep a pace of 15-16 mph. I can do that too!

It says you need to be able to run a 10-11 minute mile. I run a 9:40 mile!!!

This would allow me to complete an Ironman in 13-14 hrs and they give you 17 hrs to complete an Ironman.

So, what did I do? I entered a contest to get free entry in to the St. George Ironman this year. I'm like 99% sure that I won't win, just because SO many people enter that contest, but I figured, hey, why not?

Also, currently, I'm debating on entering the lottery for the St. George Ironman in 2012. It costs an insane amount of $$$ and you're not guaranteed to get in, so I'm not sure about that yet. Plus, I'd kind of like to do a full marathon, a century ride and a full marathon before I do an Ironman.

I don't know. We'll see where this takes me. I just know that I have now set a goal that before I'm 40 yrs old (8 yrs away), I will compete in my first Ironman.

No comments: