My Next Race

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Good News/Bad News

I have good news and bad news for this post...hence the name of the post. Lol.

Bad news first I guess. My shin splints are back. :( Granted, they aren't as bad as they were earlier this year, but they're back. I really hope that if I use my handy dandy KT Tape and my compression socks this week my shin splints will heal quick. I'm not going to do the treadmill this week either. To keep up with my running though, I will do the eliptical trainer, I just won't put any resistance on it. Or, if I do put resistance on it, I won't do anything more than a 5 (normally the resistance is anywhere from a 10-13).

I haven't been pushing myself hard with my running, so I'm frustrated that my shin splints have come back. When I got shin splints earlier this year, I was running 6+ miles a day. I would run more if I had a bad day emotionally, etc. Plus, I wasn't stretching before running either.

I now make sure I stretch really well before I run or use the eliptical trainer, plus I've only been running 4.0 miles a day except on Saturday and then I have a long run on Saturday.

I think the reason I'm still getting shin splints is for a couple of reasons. I'm still only running on the treadmill and I'm not running outside. I do the treadmill instead of running outside for a couple of reasons. Usually when I need to run, that's not the only thing I need to do. I also need to either bike or do weights, so I just go up to the gym and do everything there instead of going running for 4 miles outside and then going up to the gym when I get done. I think another reason I'm getting shin splints is because when I run, when my foot meets the ground or the treadmill, it meets it too hard and the torque is too much (does that make sense?). But, that's the only way I know how to run. Soon I will be meeting with my personal trainer again and hopefully he'll be able to help me.

Time for some good news! I lost 1.4 pounds this week! Granted, 1.4 lbs isn't alot, but I didn't think I'd lose ANY weight this week. I just didn't feel like I worked out alot. I didn't workout at all on Friday and I didn't swim every day this week. So, needless to say, I was shocked when I stepped on the scale and it said I'd lost 1.4 lbs.

No comments: